Max Forni DMD, P.A. and Associates
We welcome the entire family and are accepting new patients
863.676.6021 - Se Habla Espańol
POST OPERATIVE CARE FOLLOWING ORAL SURGERY
1. Following surgery keep gauze pads over the area with biting pressure for 1 hour.
2. Some oozing of blood may persist on the first and second day following surgery. Placing sterile pads over the area and biting for ½ hour at a time may control this.
3. The day following surgery, rinse the mouth with warm saline rinses (1/2 teaspoon of salt to a full glass of warm water) after meals and before bed.
4. AVOID SMOKING
5. Swelling around the mouth, cheeks, eyes and neck may follow some surgical procedures. This is normal and may persist 5-7 days. To minimize swelling, apply an ice pack, 15 minutes on 15 minutes off for the first 8 hours after surgery.
6. In some cases discoloration of the skin follows surgery. This is often normal, especially in individuals who bruise easily.
7. If you experience nausea and vomiting following general anesthetic, sip ginger ale or cola and minimize activity. Symptoms usually subside after several hours.
8. Numbness of the lip occasionally follows oral surgery. This is usually transient and no cause for alarm.
9. For discomfort, take the prescribed medication as directed.
10. Drink plenty of liquids and take solid foods, as you are able. Avoid chewing in the area of surgery.
11. Following the removal of teeth you may feel projections, which may be mistaken for roots. This often represents bony edges. Return to the office for evaluation.
12. Infrequently, jaw pain, earache and bad taste may develop from 2-7 days following extractions. This is the result the blood clot decomposing or being lost. If this occurs, return to the office for a medicated dressing.
13. Sutures are normally resorbable and will be gone in 1-2 weeks. Occasionally you will return to the office for suture removal.
14. Maintain normal oral hygiene being careful to avoid trauma to operative site.
15. Please notify the office of any unusual occurrences or if you should have any questions.
Forni Dental - Copyright © 2017 - All Rights Reserved